Breast Cancer Community
Tram Flap Recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Tram Flap Recovery

Has anyone over 70 had bilateral mastectomy & TRAM Flap reconstruction? If so, how long did it take to recover & what hints can you share?
Thanks & God Bless!

This discussion is related to Possibility of double tram flap at same time?.
1 Comment
I'm not a fan of TRAM flap reconstruction for anyone at any age. It moves stomach muscles that need to be in your stomach to help you get up and down and to support your lower back, among a LOT of other things. I would recommend DIEP if you're wanting tissue transfer for reconstruction. It doesn't move muscle at all and is similar in many other ways.

I'd make sure that the surgeon has been doing DIEP for several years and does a few hundred a year since it's a specialized surgery and the surgeons are microsurgeons. My bilateral DIEP reconstruction took a total of 6 hours done by two surgeons at the same time. Feel free to ask for more info you you're interested.

If your overall health is good (besides cancer) I don't see any reason you can't move forward with reconstruction.