Breast Cancer Community
Tram flap...Surgical mesh complications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Tram flap...Surgical mesh complications

In Nov 2010, I had TRAM flap breast reconstruction. The abdominal muscles were used to provide blood flow to the breast tissue, so the surgeon used mesh to provide support for the loss of muscle. The procedure was not successful and much of the tissue went nacrotic (sp?) , both breasts, but also my abdomen (which seems odd, as I can see the transplanted breast tissue at risk, but abdominal tissue dying?? It didn't need a new blood supply source) Any one else find this odd?  Anyway,upon my 1st post op office visit, the surgeon sliced and gouged out massive amounts of dead tissue. Leaving me with 9 huge wounds (1 so big you could put your fist in it). I got a home nsg and a wound vac and healing is coming along. What a mess!! But...here's my other concern (now that I can focus on something besides wounds, haha) my surgical mesh. From day one I have expressed my complaint of constant pain, tingling and burning, occasional (but daily) stabbing pain, and such tight bloating like my stomach is gonna POP...all at the mesh area of my tummy. Is this normal or not?? What IS mesh supposed to feel like?? Will it get better? Or am I rejecting the mesh? Anyone know for sure? Or can give me info on where to look to find this information. Thanks any help greatly appreciated.
1 Comment
I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

Mesh has been known to cause serious issues like you mention. I am going to STRONGLY recommend that you find the best surgeon in your area and make an appointment to go over your TX with them and find out what they think.

Best wishes.