Breast Cancer Community
Trouble getting biopsy with Implants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Trouble getting biopsy with Implants

An ultrasound showed a mass in my right breast.   I was referred to a surgeon.  At first he thought he could take care of this with a less invasive method than surgery, even with my implants.  After another ultra sound and conferring with the radiologist and plastic surgeon, he says he is not comfortable doing this.  The mass is very close to the implant with high risk of damaging the implant.  He is referring me to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa as he says they will be qualified to deal with this complex situation and whatever is needed.  I don't think this will be covered by my insurance, but that is a secondary worry.    I also was told that I am not a candidate for the core needle biopsy method.  Also told that if the fine needle biopsy comes back negative, it is not 100%.  Have others had this much difficulty getting a biopsy having implants.  Is there any other option?

It may be that Moffitt can offer procedures that  not every surgeon performs.
Did your surgeon mention vacuum-assisted biopsy? I can't say whether this method would be able to reach the spot in question either, but here is some information about it:

"Vacuum-assisted biopsy (brand names, Mammotome or MIBB) allows physicians to perform accurate breast biopsies on women with breast implants.

Vacuum-assisted biopsy relies on stereotactic mammography or ultrasound imaging for guidance. Stereotactic mammography involves using computers to pinpoint the exact location of a breast mass based on mammograms (x-rays) taken from two different angles. The computer coordinates will help the physician to guide the needle to the correct area in the breast. With ultrasound, the radiologist or surgeon will watch the needle on the ultrasound monitor to help guide it to the area of concern.

The precision and directional abilities of vacuum-assisted biopsy make it the most viable biopsy option for women with breast implants."

Please update us on whether you are able to have a biopsy by these less invasive means or  have to have an excision biopsy, as well as how things turn out for you.

Wishing you all the best,
bluebutterfly
Thanks for your comments.  I had read up on that as well.  The surgeon I went to specializes in less invasive procedures (fine needle and core  vacuum assisted) so he did look into that.  Evidently, the mass is too close to the capsule surrounding the implant and so I am not a candidate for these procedures.  I am being referred to GS/PS and will see her in a couple of weeks for a consult as to whether we need to do anything now or wait and see.  Not a fan of wait and see.   We'll see what she says before I go the Moffitt route.  I doubt my insurance will cover that, but that's a secondary issue.
Sorry you have to wait a couple of week for the next step in figuring out what should be done.

Keep us posted--you will be in my thoughts.

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly