Breast Cancer Community
Tumour size after mastectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Tumour size after mastectomy

I had a mastectomy on my left breast a month ago.  The MRI had measured the tumour as 3.5cm.  After surgery, the path report said it was 6.5.  My surgeon said that is was the total of the tumour plus the DCIS they found.  However, the medical oncologist told me the other day that the actual tumour was 6.5.  Which one is it?  I find it hard to believe that the MRI would miss 50% of the tumour.
Thanks you!
Almost the same thing happen to me.My mammogram and ultrasound report stated that my tumor IDC was 5mm.The MRI found that it was 8mm.
After I had the surgery,(lumpectomy)the results on my pathology report stated that my tumor was 9mm, which also included DCIS .

I guess that all the tests done before surgery cannot tell exactly what the tumor measurements are,but I trust that the surgeon who extracted the tumor,and read the pathologist report,is the the one who would know for sure about the tumor size.

I sure hope that you are doing fine right now and I wish you a long a healthy life... :)

I just noticed that you have posted twice before and that "bluebutterfly2222" has responded to you.
Please, if you have any additional questions keep it on the same thread  (Use the "post a comment" below the answer you have received ) This helps to have all your information together so we can better help you.
Thank you....