Breast Cancer Community
Ultra sound report of fibroadenoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Ultra sound report of fibroadenoma

Hello Everyone,
                     I am 22 years old and i had my ultrasound report today of fibroadenoma. The impression of the report is-

* Multiple lobulated round to ovoid hypoechoic nodules seen subareolar and lateral quadrants largest measuring 3.7X1.7 cms.
   * The nodule shows "MULTIPLE CALCIFIC SPECKS"?? with small area of cystic  changes.

I had undergone FNAC three years back and it was diagnosed as benign but this multiple calcified specks is scaring me too much. I would like to know what does it indicate? Is it early sign of cancer?? If so, what to do? Kindly Suggest.

Please help me as early as possible
Please don't worry...Calcifications are quite normal in breast tissue and they are not harmful.Only the ones that grow in a cluster (grouped)are suspicious because they sometimes cluster around a mass.
Calcification can be cause by many benign conditions such as in a dilated milk duct,cysts,fibroadenomas, infection(mastitis)or just skin calcification.
The majority of breast tumors detected by mammography or ultrasound are non-cancerous especially at your young age..
Fibroadenoma which is a benign breast tumor  may appear at any age,but they are more common in women in their twenties and thirties.These benign lumps,are not related to breast cancer in any way and are known to increase in size and tenderness in relation to the menstrual cycles due to hormonal changes.Usually they are left alone,but if they enlarge too much or cause pain,they can be removed.
There is score assigned on your Ultrasound report called  BIRADS.(Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System).
This system is used by radiologist to categorize how suspicious the calcifications or other findings are.The scores go from 0 to 5.The higher the score the more suspicious are the findings .
It's important to know what your score is.You could call the radiologist to find out about it.Depending on your score, you and your doctor will know if the calcifications in your breasts are nothing to worry about, or if they have to be monitored every 3 to six months, or biopsied if the score is 4 or higher.
Best wishes..
Best wishes..
Thank you so much for your early response and relieving my tension. Further, Ultrasound report taken in the month of January 11th this year indicated the size of my fibroadenoma as

* 37X28X21 mm in retro alveolar area and 21X14 mm just below the nipple & 10X4 mm in upper inner quadrants. No e/o calcification or necrosis seen.

Can i consider this as some reduction in the size of my fibroadenomas?

You welcome!
Yes there is a reduction in size and your latest Ultrasound report is even better.As I mentioned in my previous message,fibroadenomas/cysts tend to enlarge before your menstrual cycle and subside when your periods is over.Fibroadenomas sometimes shrink or disappear on their own.Try to cut down your caffeine intake (chocolate,coffee,colas) because it could play a role in premenstrual breast swelling and discomfort.
I am glad that you feel relieved ,but don't forget to always do your SBE (self breast exam) every month after your periods have ended to check for any changes..Also keep regular follow-up as recommended by your  doctor okay?
All the best! :)
Thank u very much for your reply and suggestions. I will definitely follow up your advice. Your answers have given me lot of abatement :) However i will continue to seek suggestions from you in near future.
Thanking you again :)