Breast Cancer Community
Ultrasound and Mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Ultrasound and Mammogram

HI,
I am new here and have a question about what an ultrasound can see vs a mammogram.  My doctor found a lump in my left breast about a month ago.  I had a diagnostic mammogram of both breasts as I have just turned 40.  I received a call from the clinic asking me to come in for a 2nd mammogram but not on the left breast (where the lump was) on my right breast.  The additional films revealed a "roundish" mass and an ultrasound was ordered.  I had the ultrasound today and the technician could not find the mass? She has asked me to come back in six months for a follow up mammogram.  Should I be concerned?  Why would an ultrasound not see a mass? I am pretty scared and not sure I can handle six months of worry.  She showed me the mammogram and the mass was definately there?

thanks,
Shannon
1 Comment
Mammograms & Ultrasounds often "see" different things as they are entirely different tests. The Technician is NOT the person to advise you when to return or for what type of examination; this is something that your prescribing Physician would be responsible for after receiving the final reports on all the films. I would advise you to discuss this in detail with him/her as to what type of test you should have as a follow-up and when to have it done. As a rule a Radiology report on both Mammogram and Ultrasound will contain a BIRADS score (0 to5) and this will indicate what follow-up is required. Contact your Physician for a detailed explanation of all 3 reports and you can request a copy for yourself also. Regards ...