Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Ultrasound showed 1.2 cm solid tumor

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Ultrasound showed 1.2 cm solid tumor

I'm extremelly confused - Went in for mammogram and ultrasound were they found a 1.2 centimeter solid tumor (confirmed by 3 doctors).  Was then referred to surgeon - He looked at my original sonogram film and was concerend about the irregular edges on the tumor - Here's the confusing part - He suggested a needle biopsy, so in doing so, they did another ultrasound and found a cyst but could not find the tumor that showed up in the original ultrasound. How is it possible that the solid tumor has disappeared in 10 days or can the original ultrasound be incorrect?  Has anything like this happened to anyone before?

I'm going for a second opinion tommorrow as the Surgeon had no explanation for the findings.

Thanks for your help

Dear megstrei:  Indeed, your story sounds confusing.  If this density also appeared on the mammogram, then a stereotactic biopsy may be appropriate.  A second opinion sounds like a good idea.
Due to the density of my breast, they couldn't pick it up on the mammogram, so that's when they decided to do the ultrasound and found the tumor - do you think the second person doing the ultrasound was not as experienced as the first one - or could the first ultrasound be incorrect?
Hi! Maybe my recent experience will ease your concern...On 8/2/02 I had mammo which was 'clear', and I had an ultrasound which showed a .88cm 'solid' mass.  Everyone involved was concerned that my breast cancer (diagnosed 6/00) had recurred.  I had a core biopsy on 9/16/02.  The radiologist who performed the biopsy said while performing the core biopsy guided by ultrasound that it became evident that the mass was a cyst!  I was so elated when she called me with the BENIGN results that I didn't question why the previous dr. said it was a solid mass.  Like you said, maybe one radiologist was more experienced than the other.  In my case, the 2nd radiologist (the one who performed the biopsy) comes highly recommended.  She even wrote a college text book on the core biopsy procedure.  So I feel pretty confident that she did a good job.  Anyway, I think you're wise in seeking a 2nd opinion.  I hope you get good news!  Please post your results here.  Take care, Geral
Geral, thanks for the comment - As un update, I went for second opinion and she not only found the tumor but also a cyst to go along with it.  I go in tommorrow for surgical biopsy to have the tumor removed - Still keeping my fingers crossed that it's a fibradenoma.

Thanks for your concern.

Meg
Hi Meg!  

Just read your 11/6 post and was disappointed that they did find a solid mass.  I hope the next time I check this website I see a post that your biopsy was BENIGN!  

Take care, Geral
A related discussion, 2 by 1.5 solid tumor found in breast was started.