Breast Cancer Community
Underarm lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Underarm lump

I have some kind of thickening lump between my right underarm and my right breast.  It is fairly large and looks almost like a small breast next to my underarm and it has a round kind of dimpling on it about the size of a quarter.  It is very uncomfortable at times and it aches when I wear certain types of clothing.  I told my doctor and she checked it and sent me for a chest cat scan which came back negative (I assume a good thing).  She advised me to see a surgeon since it bothers me.  I have not gone yet.  This lump has been bothering me since my last mammo.  It was very painful for months after it and I am assuming it was because of the compression.  I am nervous about going to the surgeon as I am basically a coward when it comes to things like surgery.  The lump area itself is soft.  When my doctor felt it she said it seemed to feel like it extended into the breast tissue and the underarm.  Do I have reason to be concerned about this since the cat scan came back negative?  I would appreciate any help and advice you can give me.  Thank you.

What is yourage? Since when have you noticed the lump?

The lump that you feel could be an axillary lymph node. These are known to enlarge secondary to shaving, waxing, using a new deodorant, due to infection or inflammation, etc.

Use some warm compresses and do not shave, wax or use a deodorant for a few days - the lump should resolve on  its own.

Have you noticed any abnormal features on breast self examination like a breast lump, nipple discharge or skin changes?

If it still persists, you would need to see your surgeon for a clinical evaluation.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Regards.
I noticed the problem since my last mammogram which was last April.  It was very sore for sometime afterward and the area became very enlarged.  It probably measures about 2 inches across and 3-4 inches down.  It is soft and does get very sore at times.  I sleep with a pillow under my arm sometimes and this seems to help. I am 60 years young.  I am probably going to make an appointment to see the surgeon although I am not quite sure what can be done.

You are correct in seeking an appointment with your doctor for this lesion. It is important to be aware and concerned about one's health.

The pain and soreness may indicate infection, but a definite diagnosis can only be ascertained by the doctor.

Keep us posted if you may need any ore help.