Understanding path
I just had a core needle biopsy on a  lump. My pathology report is
Proliferative changes consisting of moderate to severe ductal hyperplasia without atypia. In low areas,vague circumscription is noted with rather more hypercellular stroma which may suggest fibroadenomatiod change. In other parts the stroma shows (PASH) focal columnar cell change is present. A small focus suggestive of papillary lesion is identified without atypia.overall the microscopic findings are consistent with proliferative changes with portion of intraductal papilloma. Microcalifications are present.
I have met with a surgeon and I will have surgery to remove the papilloma, she said that 90 percent of these are benign. I am 46 years old. My mother had breast cancer. Is there a reason to worry or are these findings consistent of benign breast problems?
From what I can understand ,your path report is not alarming. However,surgery to remove the papilloma is required and it's the standard of care.The majority of these wart like growth on the lining of the duct are benign in nature and there is no direct indication that they will grow back.The primary reason for removing the papilloma,(even if benign when biopsied) is to make sure that cancer or pre-cancerous cells are not "hiding" within the growth.An incision is made at the very edge of the nipple and the tumor is removed, along with part of the duct in which it was found.
The full pathology exam is the only and best way to make certain no malignant cells are present.The removal of a papilloma is a minor operation and recovery prospects after treatment are excellent.
Best wishes and good luck!