Breast Cancer Community
Undetectable by Ultrasound or Mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Undetectable by Ultrasound or Mammogram

My wife has a lump that has grown quite quickly from a pea size to about 2in * 3in * 2in in about 4 days. It appeats to have stopped growing.  It is VERY painful. Humans can see it, mamipulate the breast to feel it.  PCP referred to Gyn, referred to surgeon.  Surgeon did core biopsy with 10 samples, all came back benign.  Mammogram and Sonogram both came back negative, the Radiologists (did at 2 different hospitals, in 2 different hospital systems) did not see anything.  

Has anyone experienced anything like this?  

The doctor has referred to this as a benign tumor, Not a cyst.  I get the feeling that he is talking a complete mastectomy on that side. Needless to say this has us worried and confused.  I thought that all lumps were detectable, and their status as cancer or not, and the treatment pretty much standard.

Any help or thoughts?  

The surgeon is out of the office for another week, so we have 7 more days of worry.

This discussion is related to Breast Lump/Mass UnDetected .
1 Comment
I'm not sure where you got the idea that the Surgeon is considering a Mastectomy .... for a benign breast tumor!!! This would be a Fibroadenoma by the way. If it is true that a Mastectomy is being advised then PLEASE consult another Surgeon. These benign breast tumors which are quite common are sometimes removed if they are unusually large or cause a great deal of discomfort .... they are also often just left alone. Removing a Fibroadenoma does not mean that others will not develop. Nearly half of all women have Fibrocystic Breast Condition and have multiple tumors of this sort. Sometimes there are circumstances when a palpable lump is not visible on film although not often. Since the biopsy came back "benign" there certainly would be NO reason for a Mastectomy. Basically the difference between a cyst and fibroadenoma is that the cyst contains fluid and the fibroadenoma is a solid mass. Regards ....