Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Upset to say the least!

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Upset to say the least!

I have been getting mammograms for the past 5 years, I am now age 40. I was getting the mammograms cause my mother had breast cancer at the age of 55, she survived! She didn't have to go any chemo or anything, her breast was removed and some lymph nodes. Well anyhow, I went in March 2003 for a mammogram at a different hospital and it showed that I had microcalcifications and was told to repeat the mammo in 6 months, which was just the other day. I wasn't told anything about the results, I even called the drs and they told me no report back yet. I am so upset, concerned, worried and frightened. I have an 8 year old daughter and I am wondering how long I have til she has no mother. Maybe I am over reacting to this but I can't deal with it. I don't understand how I had a mammogram done for the past 5 years only to have this show up now, how could the other mammograms missed it? Please someone out there help me before I loose my mind! Thank you!
Dear Mitchiekov:  Microcalcifications does not necessarily mean the presence of cancer.  Microcacifications are actually normal growths.  The concern is when microcalcifications are clustered.  Sometimes clusters can form around an abnormal growth.  In these instances, a stereotactic biopsy can be done to determine if there is any evidence of cancer or pre cancer.  In many cases the biopsy is negative.  It is natural to be concerned but at this point, there is no evidence that you have cancer.  To ease your mind, call the doctor's office and explain your worry.  Ask to be called as soon as results are in.  Then, if this needs to be evaluated further, you can schedule with a breast surgeon.
I just had excisional biopsies on two areas of suspicious microcalcifications and both turned out benign.  I have already had invasive breast cancer and have a strong family history, so I was very scared.  However, most calcifications are benign.  I hope yours are too.
the vast majority of calcifications turn out to be ok. And there's no reason to believe your prior mammograms "missed" something. The reason to get them regularly is to find new things.
The calcifications were in a cluster, that is why I am concerned. I appreciate all your words, thanks so much. I will let you know the results. Please pray for me!