Breast Cancer Community
Urgent help needed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Urgent help needed?

My twin sister had a benign (sp?) lump removed from a breast at the age of 17. 10 years later she has discovered a lump in the other breast - she discovered it tonight after experiencing 2 to 3 weeks of tenderness in the breast. She is a busy teacher and just not been examining herself lately. Sadly, both our grandmothers did die from breast cancer.
Is she in danger and in need of medical treatment straight away? I took her to A&E at our Hospital but there is a 4 hour waiting time, so we left. If she waits til morning it will be quicker to be seen.
1 Comment
I don't think that your sister is in danger,but I would advise her to seek medical attention the sooner the better.
Painful lumps are almost never associated with breast cancer,but she needs to have her doctor examine her and maybe run some tests to find out what is going on.
Over the internet,one can only guess and tell you that this lump could be as simple as a cyst or a fibroadenoma (both benign lumps) that could cause the pain that your sister is experiencing.
Please,tell her to make an appointment to see her doctor,preferably a Breast Specialist,so that this problem can be resolved.
I truly hope that it's nothing serious and most probably it isn't,but any lump found in the breast,or anywhere in the body,should be promptly checked out.
Wishing the best to both of you...