Breast Cancer Community
Vacuum assisted Sterotactic Core Biopsy (vacb) Mammotome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hi Ladies

Could you please give me any details about above test? Is it very painful?  After proceudre any pains?   Bruise?  How long pain and recovery time?
Hi  again indira,
Here is some information about your biopsy.
                            -------------------------------------------------
Vacuum-assisted biopsy (brand names, Mammotome or MIBB) allows physicians to perform accurate breast biopsies on women especially women with breast implants.

Vacuum-assisted biopsy relies on stereotactic mammography or ultrasound imaging for guidance. Stereotactic mammography involves using computers to pinpoint the exact location of a breast mass based on mammograms (x-rays) taken from two different angles. The computer coordinates will help the physician to guide the needle to the correct area in the breast. With ultrasound, the radiologist or surgeon will watch the needle on the ultrasound monitor to help guide it to the area of concern.

I think the procedure including preparation etc..takes an hour or so.You may feel a sting with the injection of the local anesthetic that will only last a few seconds.A hollow sampling needle will be placed into the breast to extract pieces of tissue. At this point, you may sense pressure, but it should not be painful.When you go back home,you can apply ice packs on your breast to minimize bruising and pain.It is advisable to restrict your activity and the use of your arm on the biopsy side, following the procedure.You may return to work and your usual activities when you feel you are able to do so.
Good luck and wishing you all the best!!
you are so kind, thanks so much.  Your information very useful, I read many articles about this and went nuts. Some say the pain lasts months.  I was terrified, was about to cancel my procedure, now I am bit okay.  thanks so much, god bless you.