Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Vaginal dsischarge after chemo

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Vaginal dsischarge after chemo

History
I was diagnosed with HR pos invasive ductal breast cancer at age 42.  Has a mastectomy, went through chemo (just in case) and was thrown into menopause.  I was on Tomoxifen 1 year then Femara 2 years and stopped taking it 13 months ago. (personal choice, not medical)  My Gyn told me 2 years ago that my ovaries were shrunken and the lining of my uterus was was atrophied.
When I stopped taking the Femara, my periods began a month later.  I have have 5 of them in the past 12 mo.

Problem/Concern
I am having a clear, orderless, jelly like vaginal discharge 3 years post chemo.  It is like having a clear period.  Very heavy discharge.  After 1 month , I saw my Gyn and it now looks like my overies have regenerated and the ling of my uterus is alive and has a swiss cheese like appearance.  My overies appear to be hyperstimulated (per my Gyn) and this is causing the excessive discharge.  He told me that this usually only occurs in women on fertility meds. He wants to do a D&C and test this scrapings.  Given my cancer history, should I be concerned?  So far I haven't found any info on this on the web.
Dear mothertee:  It is not uncommon for chemotherapy to put women into menopause.  However, this can be temporary or permanent, depending on the individual.  Your gynecologist is best equipped to comment on the condition of the uterine lining and your ovaries.  Of interest, femara is sometimes used to stimulate ovaries in the infertility population.  This is why the class of drugs known as aromatase inhibitors (femara is one) for treatment of breast cancer is reserved for women who are post menopausal.
Unfortunately, given a previous BC history, you really can't put this on the back burner.  Glad you are having it investigated.  I question why the D&C and not an endometrial biopsy which can be done within minutes in the doctor's office.