Very Large and Painful Lump Appeared Quickly
A very large painful lump appeared in my left breast overnight.  I have had several needle aspirations and mamograms/ultrasounds over the last few years for cysts.  I had bleeding from the breast a year ago.  Tests did not determine cancer at the time. My family has suffered with colon cancer, breast cancer, lukemia, stomach and lung cancer.  Easrliest death was at 49.

I am also experience severe night/day sweats and joint pain. I have just started taking natural progesterone.  I am not able to take HRT because of the high cancer connection within my family. I am close to 50.  Can breast cancer show up quickly with severe pain once a person has been experiencing past breast problems?  I will be going for another mamagram/ultra sound soon.  I am quite concerned and feeling very anxious.  Plese respond soon.  

LY
Dear LY:  It is unusual and unlikely that breast cancer would have this type of presentation.  Breast cancer is usually painless.  It could be that this is hormone-related.  If this persists, you should see your doctor for recommendations.
Because of my own experience, I say definately do something now! In Dec. 2001 I had a normal mammogram, in Feb 2002 I felt a small lump in my right breast. Had mammogram repeated along with ultrasound. Report came back negative. Two weeks later the lump is growing, very very painful. Dr. said its probably a cyst, refered me to a surgeon. Took 3 weeks to get appt. during this time lump is still growing and painful. I even called Dr.s office to get in sooner, again told not to worry, probably cyst.To make a long story short, it was cancer, by the time I had my surgery, it was almost 4 inches in diameter, 5 out of 12 lymph nodes positive. Now I'm a stage 3 cancer patient starting chemo next week, followed by radiotherapy and hormone therapy. If I had only trusted myself and not the doctors...
I also have a stage 3 cancer of the breast.  I had a mamogram on may 30/01 and had a repeat june14/01 and was told they were not overly concerned about it and to have a repeat done in 6 mons and first asked to see a specialist and my dr said do not worry.  Then in sept and oct I asked again to repeat. As my son had died in a car accident in july I lost track of time so in nov I asked almost demanded I have a mamogram again to which my dr said do not worry till after the holidays.  So never thought about it till Jan 29/02 removing my bra noticed the inside of the breast looked larger so I felt it to me I felt I was feeling 2 large implants.  So went to the dr who was shocked set me up for a mamo 6 days later to a surgeon for a biopsy 10 days or more later then almost a week later for a fine wire biopsy and lumpectomy then mar 11/02 for a mastectomy and chemo now for 6 mons or more and then radiation.  Started chemo April 11/02 and find the 2 wks of treatment times hard.  Soon it well be time again as there is 2 wks in between to get over the chemo.  If the cancer would have been descouvered at the second mamo I may be further ahead and not a stage 3 cancer although at the time the lump was not pallitable.
I have a concern as I have had a lump in right breast for 2 years now, and was always told nothing to worry about. I have had mammograms every 6 months, but missed last one because of lack of insurance at this time. I just went last week for mam. and was called to come back for more  tomorrow with probably an ultrasound also. I have had breast pain and shoulder pain the last week or so, but am always told usually no pain with breast cancer. How true do you think that is? I am 51 and have not started menopause as of yet, I have 8 children ages 19 - 34.  Would appreciate some info please.
Thank you,
Mollie