Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Very Large and Painful Lump Appeared Quickly

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

A very large painful lump appeared in my left breast overnight.  I have had several needle aspirations and mamograms/ultrasounds over the last few years for cysts.  I had bleeding from the breast a year ago.  Tests did not determine cancer at the time. My family has suffered with colon cancer, breast cancer, lukemia, stomach and lung cancer.  Easrliest death was at 49.

I am also experience severe night/day sweats and joint pain. I have just started taking natural progesterone.  I am not able to take HRT because of the high cancer connection within my family. I am close to 50.  Can breast cancer show up quickly with severe pain once a person has been experiencing past breast problems?  I will be going for another mamagram/ultra sound soon.  I am quite concerned and feeling very anxious.  Plese respond soon.  

LY
Dear LY:  It is unusual and unlikely that breast cancer would have this type of presentation.  Breast cancer is usually painless.  It could be that this is hormone-related.  If this persists, you should see your doctor for recommendations.
Because of my own experience, I say definately do something now! In Dec. 2001 I had a normal mammogram, in Feb 2002 I felt a small lump in my right breast. Had mammogram repeated along with ultrasound. Report came back negative. Two weeks later the lump is growing, very very painful. Dr. said its probably a cyst, refered me to a surgeon. Took 3 weeks to get appt. during this time lump is still growing and painful. I even called Dr.s office to get in sooner, again told not to worry, probably cyst.To make a long story short, it was cancer, by the time I had my surgery, it was almost 4 inches in diameter, 5 out of 12 lymph nodes positive. Now I'm a stage 3 cancer patient starting chemo next week, followed by radiotherapy and hormone therapy. If I had only trusted myself and not the doctors...
I also have a stage 3 cancer of the breast.  I had a mamogram (mammogram) on may 30/01 and had a repeat june14/01 and was told they were not overly concerned about it and to have a repeat done in 6 mons and first asked to see a specialist and my dr said do not worry.  Then in sept and oct I asked again to repeat. As my son had died in a car accident in july I lost track of time so in nov I asked almost demanded I have a mamogram (mammogram) again to which my dr said do not worry till after the holidays.  So never thought about it till Jan 29/02 removing my bra noticed the inside of the breast looked larger so I felt it to me I felt I was feeling 2 large implants.  So went to the dr who was shocked set me up for a mamo 6 days later to a surgeon for a biopsy 10 days or more later then almost a week later for a fine wire biopsy and lumpectomy then mar 11/02 for a mastectomy and chemo now for 6 mons or more and then radiation.  Started chemo April 11/02 and find the 2 wks of treatment times hard.  Soon it well be time again as there is 2 wks in between to get over the chemo.  If the cancer would have been descouvered at the second mamo I may be further ahead and not a stage 3 cancer although at the time the lump was not pallitable.
I have a concern as I have had a lump in right breast for 2 years now, and was always told nothing to worry about. I have had mammograms every 6 months, but missed last one because of lack of insurance at this time. I just went last week for mam. and was called to come back for more  tomorrow with probably an ultrasound also. I have had breast pain and shoulder pain the last week or so, but am always told usually no pain with breast cancer. How true do you think that is? I am 51 and have not started menopause as of yet, I have 8 children ages 19 - 34.  Would appreciate some info please.
Thank you,
Mollie