Breast Cancer Community
Very old seroma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Very old seroma

I had a lumpectomy 2+ years ago, I STILL have the seroma which gets sore and tender to the touch.  How long does it take for these things to go away?  Is it normal to still have the soreness and tenderness?  I am just being paranoid? Any answers? Please and thank you.
Tags: seromas
  • Seromas after breat cancer surgery (2 replies):
    Are seromas in the breast life threating? Will they bri...[more]
  • Seroma (1 replies):
    I had a simple mastectomy of the right breast 5 weeks ag...[more]
  • seroma (1 replies):
    I had a MAMMOSITE radiation in November, and now I have ...[more]
  • seroma (5 replies):
    my mother had mastectomy on july 07 and after the surger...[more]
  • seroma (2 replies):
    Hi.. Howlong should you let a seroma go (if is isnt abs...[more]
No, I wouldn't characterize this as "normal" after this length of time. Have you consulted your Surgeon regarding this problem ?? If not I would suggest that you do so. If this is indeed a seroma after all this time I would think it could be aspirated. I'm wondering if this could possibly a cyst rather than  seroma. You might also consider an Ultrasoud to investigate this lesion further. As a rule seromas are treated until they have either been aspirated successfully or have re-absorbed ... I've never heard of one being left untreated for this length of time.   Regards ...
I had a very large cyst removed from my left breast.  It was the size of a golf ball. My incision came open 3 weeks later and was bleeding. Physician said it was a blood pocket that busted.  A week later, it came open again. The physician on call said it was a seroma fluid.  It this normal?  Will it always break open at times.  Should the doctor have put a drainage for the old blood.  It is blood that is coming from the top of my incision. Will he have to restitch the wound with a needle?  Is this normal?  I had this  procedure done by a general surgeon.  Should I have seen a breast surgeon? Please advise.
I am a little over 4 years post breast lumpectomy and I STILL have a seroma. It is smaller but the area is still very tender, sometimes I have sharp pains there - no sign of infection.  It was drained twice but decided that only increased my chance of getting an infection.  

No one has suggested any treatment since that time.  
I would want to follow the advice given by Japdip to bootsey.4 years is quite a long time to still have a seroma.If I were you I would get in touch with your doctor to order an ultrasound ..it could be a cyst as Japdip suggested, and not a seroma.It is always better to make sure about everything concerning the breasts.
Best wishes.