Very thick material aspirated on breast biopsy - not simple cyst.
My mother has had a "growth" in her breast for about 5 years, first found on mammogram in 2000.  They were just going to keep an eye on it.  She missed 2 years of having a mammogram (doctor's office were supposed to send out reminder postcard so she forgot) and then she just had one again a few months ago - turns out the "growth" has grown some and it looked suspicious on mammogram, so she had an ultrasound, then a breast biopsy. Doctor says it doesn't look like a simple cyst - doesn't look like a cancerous tumor on ultrasound, but he isn't sure what it is and when he did fine needle aspiration, he drew out a very thick fluid and sent it off for pathology.  I think they described it on previous ultrasound as something that looked like a cyst but with a line through it.  Of course you can't give me a diagnosis - this I know; just wondering what things it COULD be?  Obviously I'm pretty concerned for my mom.  Thanks.  By the way, she is 57 years old.
Dear Meghan71:  There is no way without reviewing the films and doing a clinical examination that we can speculate on what this could be.  Usually, if fluid is drawn from a "mass" there is a least some cystic component.  The pathology report may shed some light but a discussion with her doctor may shed more light.