Breast Cancer Community
Vitamin D deficiency and breast issues?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Vitamin D deficiency and breast issues?

Hi Everyone,
     I have a biopsy scheduled for next Wednesday after my follow-up diagnostic mammogram yesterday showed a microcalcification cluster ("indeterminate") in my left breast, with a few other scattered microcalcs.  I'm anxious and concerned because a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with an abnormally low (<7) Vitamin D and took 50,000 IU of Vit.D2 for two weeks and am not taking that dosage weekly for the next four weeks after which they will check my levels again.  I have read a lot recently about how Vitamin D deficiency is found in a good number of women with breast cancer and that a deficiency can be linked to the cancer being more aggressive.  Has anyone else heard this or had experience with Vitamin D deficiency and breast issues?  

FYI, apparently Vit.D deficiency is pretty common and is associated with increased risk of multiple cancers.  I had been trying for months to find the cause for my chronic fatigue, hair loss, gastrointestinal issues, etc.  I had my thyroid checked last fall because I know the symptoms are associated with that, but my thyroid panel came back normal.  I went to a GI doctor but nothing was found there.  I finally found a new primary care physician who ordered a whole panel of blood work and found the Vit.D deficiency.  Everyone else (me included) seemed to be writing it off to perimenopause (I'm 45) or "stress."  I think it's really important for women to make sure they know their Vitamin D levels.  I was shocked that mine was so low--I get some sun exposure daily walking our dog twice a day, I eat salmon regularly, etc.  It affects more women than we know about.
vit. D is very important for many reasons .... one being the absorption of Calcium. There has been a lot said lately about the need for Vit.D and it's relation to many forms of cancer. Sounds like you are on top of the situation as far as your deficiency is concerned. I can understand your concern about the recent finding but I don't think I'd be any more concerned because of your Vit.D problem. Good Luck with the biopsy.... you're taking good care of yourself and being proactive which is a necessary responsibility these days.
Thanks so much for your comments.  I wish I had been more proactive months ago.  The "little voice in my head" kept telling me that the symptoms I was having couldn't just be "stress" or perimenopause, but I ignored the voice and life went on.  I won't ignore that voice again and will push until I find a doctor willing to explore further.  My new primary care physician seems on top of things.  
Well don't feel too badly about it .... we all tend to ignore things at times. It's much easier that way. Glad you're on top of things now and that you have found a good Physician who listens and looks.  Regards .....