Breast Cancer Community
Wait or ask for further tests sooner?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Wait or ask for further tests sooner?

Good day,

I have recently had a hard, pea-sized lump discovered in my upper right axila. Upon having an ultrasound at a small radiology clinic, they found that I had an enlarged duct with debris, and swollen lymph nodes. I have NO underlying infection that I  aware of, and the ultrasound of the left breast was unremarkable.  When they told me of this result, they advised a follow-up ultrasound in three months. I am TERRIFIED waiting... And because I worked I worked in Genetics for patients with BRCA1/2, I have definately seen too much.  I am not sure that waiting is the best course of action. My risk is +7% due to family history.
Can you tell me please, should I be confident in waiting, or should I be asking for further testing and what should I ask for?
Thank you for your help!
Valerie
I forgot to add that I also have an inverted nipple on that side- and that I have had a lot of progesterone and estrogen therapy for endometriosis.
Dilated ducts with debris,is a term used to describe particles found that are not fluid in a cysts or milk duct In the vast majority of cases,it's not too concerning.Obviously the radiologist did not detect anything suspicious,otherwise a biopsy would have been recommended.
There are several causes of an inverted nipple, such as an inflammation or infected ducts in the breast which could causes lymph nodes to enlarge.
Your Ultrasound report includes many technical details,one of which is a BIRADS score.
BIRADS is a quality control system used by radiologists after interpreting mammograms,ultrasound and MRIs.
This system allows radiologist to categorize the findings by numbers.The scores go from 0 to 5.The higher the number the more suspicious is the abnormality.I presume that your BIRADS score is a 3,meaning that the findings are "Probably benign"
There are no suspicious lesions, masses, or calcifications to report, but follow-up is recommended to make sure that no changes have occurred.
Waiting 3 months is not too long to wait.However,If you are worried because you also have a family history,you could seek a second opinion preferably with a Breast Specialist, or you may discuss with your doctor about your concern and ask to have a biopsy procedure that should put you in a better light of the situation.Also please have an in depth discussion with your doctor to weigh the risks and benefit regarding HRT,because this medication could increase the risk of developing breast cancer.
Hoping that there is nothing serious at all and wishing you all the best...
Don't request....DEMAND further testing NOW. You are your own best advocate. If you feel something isn't right, you exhaust everything until YOU are satisfied! This is always the first bit of advice I give when asked. YOU know your body best. Long story short, at 31 I found a lump in my breast which lead to a stage3+ breast cancer diagnosis...never smoked, no drugs and ZERO family history. Early detection makes such a huge difference, it's not worth the risk just to be polite. :) Good luck and best wishes for the best outcome.
Get the lymph node biopsied! Don't wait. Better to be safe then sorry.
Thank you everyone :)  I am somewhat reassured but also don't want to take any chances so I am not going to wait... I am requesting further testing.  I know that is something my three small children would what me to do if they understood.
Good for you Valerie!
I think it's a good and wise decision to get to the bottom of this..I agree with you that it's very stressful to wait and not knowing for sure what's going on .
I hope your doctor will consider further testing or even a biopsy,which is the only test to obtain a correct diagnosis.
Although I don't think that your situation is alarming,but your peace of mind is what really counts.
Again all the best to you! :)