Breast Cancer Community
Water Retention

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Water Retention

Is water retention normal after Transflap,& hernia surgery? What does Lymphodemia act like? Some days it is worse. but my Arm feels like a log,  I am told it is Arthritis in my fingers affecting the arm.? not from the surgery. After the cancer surgery & Lymph node removal I started the exercises and have continued.I felt like I knew its symptoms well and worked with it to maintain.  But after a recent surgery for a Hernia from Transflap It is worse and aches alot and does not react to the exercises.I have gained weight as quickly as in 5 hours!!! The Drs. response...Think about something other than my pain. It is chronic and will always be with me. Change Drs? That was a new one.  I hate Drs The hernia surgery was not a sucess, but I refuse to go thru a correction as the 1st failed from not attachement integrity with my tissue. It is all scar tisssue. Whats a Woman to do to still strut her stuff?? I believe many Doctors put themselves through college selling used cars.
I am having the same problem with the lymphedema on my right arm. My surgeon refered me to a Lymphedema Clinic. They gave me exercises to do and showed me how to move the fluid from my right side of my body to the left side. I helps sometimes. They also prescribed  a compression arm sleeve.  I've been wearing it for about 9 months. This helps a little but the pain seems to never go away. A man who works with my husband said his mother wore this sleeve for 20 years. When i purchased my sleeve the lady at the masectomy shop told me that she only had to wear her sleeve for about 3 years and she doesn't have any problems with the lymphedema but the pain in her armpit has never gone away after 10 years. My hand started to hurt after a couple of months and I wore a compression glove with the sleeve for about two weeks and now my hand is better. I wish I could help you more because I know how you feel. It seems as though the Drs don't beleive how we feel.
I  have Lymphedema  and went through  the exercise training.I have a compression arm sleeve but haven't used it since the surgery .  It is just that after this Hernia surgery, which was on my right side where the Lymphedema is (and the hernia is attatched to the Transflap that goes up to the same area. ) I have some odd? moving and swelling.The Ache is like a tooth ache waiting for a Root Canal ;) I go tomorrow to see the surgeon who did it. I really dread it. I do not expect anything from the Appt.  Nancy