Breast Cancer Expert Forum
What Does Calcification Mean???

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

What Does Calcification Mean???

My mother had her annual mammogram and they called her to tell her she had calcification in her left breast, but nobody told her what that meant.  They said she had calcification and nodules.  Could they have been caused by a severe impact?? (She was recently in an auto accident where her chest felt much of the impact.  Thanks for your time.
Dear liannef:  Microcalcifications are small deposits of calcium that can be visualized on an x-ray and a large percentage of microcalcifications have nothing to do with cancer and probably the result of normal wear and tear on the breast. When they are seen on the mammogram the radiologist is looking for a pattern. Microcalcifications that are scattered throughout the breast are more likely to represent a benign deposit. Calcifications that are close together may be clustered around abnormal growth that would require further investigation. The radiologist would usually compare the current film to previous films, look for symmetry, and look at the pattern of these calcifications as well as the character of any "nodules". Based on these findings, recommendations are made as to the next steps - either continue annual mammogram, repeat the mammogram in six months or biopsy now.
My mammogram came back as normal, yet the findings indicate a small amount of residual fibroglandular tissue present.  No dominant masses, suspicious microcalcifications, or secondary signs of malignancy are identified.  BIRADS 1: negative.  I am not sure what all of this means, but it seems strange that I have something suspicious yet it is negative or normal.  I have a strong family history of breast cancer, so this doesn't settle well with me.  Can someone explain this to me?