Breast Cancer Community
What are my chances of recurrence after more operations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hi, 3 years ago I had both a lumpectomy and mastectomy and 13 lymph nodes removed for what turned out to be 1mm of microinvasive dcis, it had been found whilst it was a stage 0 but the hospital lost my notes (thats a different story).  I was put on Tamoxifen and it seems it didnt work, I was never given a FSH test until recently after having changed hospitals, the results were at almost 1500 as opposed to 300, It was also discovererd that I had myoma of the uterus and hormonal cysts.  As a result I was given a priority hysterectomy, oopherectomy and fallopian tubes removed.  If my chance of recurrence was 97 percent and the oopherectomy reduces the percentage by 50 percent, does that mean my chances of recurrence are 1.5 percent?  I will see my doctor on the 27th September, and think I will be put on Arimidex.  
Well, HazelLynn, if you were asked to sove this equasion on a math test, you would pass, I think. And we probably all would.

I also know with a 100% certainty you won't get pregnant.

But for the rest, we cannot answer your question any  better, or further, than you

I wish you the best, KATRIN
I'm not sure I completely understand your question, because I've never heard of anyone being told she has a 97% chance of recurrence!

But doing the math, using the figures you provided, if your risk for recurrence was 97%, and your surgery is supposed to reduce the risk by 50%, that would leave you with  about a 48% risk.

But ask your doctor to be sure, okay?

Best wishes...
Hi, sorry I meant 97 percent of being cancer free.
Best wishes,
Hazel
In that case, you are correct--according to the information you've provided, your risk, theoretically, would be reduced to 1.5%.

I say theoretically, because risk is also raised or lowered by lifestyle choices (re: drinking, smoking, weight-control, exercise, etc.), so if you are  determined to keep your risk for recurrence low, be sure to concentrate your efforts on those factors as well. (You might want to check out "12 Ways to Cut Your Brest Cancer Risk" in the  "Today's Pulse" section at the top of the column to the right of our posts.)

Best wishes for good health!
bluebutterfly
Thank you, good health to you too.
Hazel