Breast Cancer Community
What causes blueish discharge in the nipples?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I am a 29y/o mother of 3. I did breastfeed all of my children. Last year I found that my right breast began leaking blood. After gettong mammogram I had a ductoscopy. Everything was fine for about 6 months. Now in my right breast I have a blueish discharge. Can this be caused by medication? I am currently taking a pain medication that is almost the same color of blue? Also in my left breast i am having a creamy white/yellow discharge that seems to be thick. I have had NO bleeding just different discharges. What can this be from? Whats the next step for getting rid of this?
Most nipple discharges are caused by benign conditions.
Discharge from the breast, when nipples are squeezed,increases the Prolactin hormone level and the more you squeeze the nipple the more the discharge will continue.So,to get rid of the discharge,I would suggest to you to STOP squeezing the nipples.
This fluid can be many colors and consistency... green, gray, white, brown, blue and black. The blue or black discharge is even less suspicious and could be caused by benign conditions,such as cysts.
If you are on birth control pills or tranquilizers,you produce more prolactin that would result in nipple discharge.
If your nipple discharge is spontaneous and persistent,or if you are very worried about it, I think that it would be best to mention it to your physician to see if more investigation is needed.
Take care and best wishes...
I would get yourself to a breast center and have them check it !!! Why wait ?