Breast Cancer Community
What could this lump be?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

What could this lump be?

On Sunday evening I found a lump in my left breast that is hard as a rock and doesn't move (I've tried) and it is hard to figure out how big it is because I can't find the edges of it on one side so it doesn't appear to be round.  It doesn't hurt at all and I don't know what made me check but I did.  I just finished my period so don't think it is related to that; I'm 34 years old with a 5 & 6 year old.  I went to the doctor on Monday who agreed that it was a lump and wanted me to get a mammogram and ultrasound done as soon as I could get in at the local breast cancer center.  Unfortunately, it isn't until next Wednesday so I am left worried until then.  What else could it be?  I know the odds are definitely in my favor since I am still young.  What is the difference between a breast cancer center for a test versus a regular x-ray location like most of my friends have gone to; she wants me to go to a breast center.
It is quite possible that you were referred to the breast cancer center because they have ultrasound and mammography-accredited technologists, excellent equipment, and Board-certified physicians.

The center radiologist(s) may be more expert in conditions of the breast.  Too, it may be easier to meet with the radiologist to review the images, if that is your wish.

There might be a shorter time between biopsies - if any are needed - and results.  They may have a team of specialists, (which, in my opinion, should include a psychologist, but often do not, because even the thought of breast cancer sets one reeling), who meet to review cases.

But, in my experience, if you feel you want a second or third opinion, you should always seek that, regardless of the "name" of the institution.

Thanks so much for the information about the differences between a breast center and a regular radiology department.  Any idea what could cause this lump besides something bad?  Unfortunately, everything that I have read that describes my lump is about malignancies so I'm wondering if you know of any other lumps that may be hard feeling, not movable, not painful, deep in the breast, and not round or symmetrical (have a hard time finding the edges)  I'm only 34 so I know the odds are definitely in my favor which is why I know there has to be other options out there to explain this lump; I also don't have breast cancer in my family.
I am sorry.  Rereading my comment, I was not clear.  All I meant to say was that your referring physician MIGHT think that one facility has better options for you than another -  I was not saying that the breast care center staff, etc., had the better facilities - I have no idea.  You can look to see the credentials of the doctors.  Ask.  But better yet, for now...

Why not call to see if there has been a cancellation and if they might do the breast ultrasound today.  Nothing like having this anxiety over the holidays, especially, is there.  Why not call and see.

Libraries are open today -- the Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book; an alternative book Susun Weed's Breast Cancer? Breast Health! - which, apart from the herbal, and other things, has good, specific descriptives.  I am not suggesting you muck about with herbs unless that is your choice - it's for the descriptives, and, for me, the empowerment.