Breast Cancer Community
What do my biopsy results mean? Diagnosed today :(
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What do my biopsy results mean? Diagnosed today :(

Specimen A and B show poorly differentiated invasive ductal adenocarcinoma.  Multiple foci of high grade ducal carcinoma in situ with comedo type necrosis are noted.  P63 IHC stain supports diagnosis.  No definate lymphvascular invasion is seen on D2-40 IHC stain.  Microcalcifications are identified.

Diagnosis:  A and B say "Breast, left stereotactic bipsy:  Invasive poorly differentiated ductal adenocarcinoma.  High grade ductal carcinoma in situ with comedo type necrosis.

I have an appt. Mon with breast surgeron.  What exactly does this mean for me?  Radiation?  Chemo?  Lumpectomy?  What might be next?  Surgery?

40 years old on 10/31/09.  Thanks.
Related Discussions
2 Comments
Blank
25201_tn?1255584436
Well, it will definitely mean surgery of some type; either lumpectomy or mastectomy. Any further treatment will depend on the final Pathology report from whatever surgery you have and will be a decision arrived at by you and your Oncologist. It's going to be a "one step at a time" process so you shouldn't be doing any guessing at this point. What one person has will be vastly different from the next as each case is individual and so is each treatment plan. Hang in there and try to be as patient as possible ...   Regards ...
Blank
962875_tn?1314213636
I am very sorry that you recived a dx of BC, and know your mind must be reeling with all kinds of questions and worries.

Your breast surgeon, and most likely an oncologist, will be the best sources of information and answers specific to your case.

Some general information, while you wait, is that surgery will be involved, but whether a lumpectomy or some form of mastectomy will be recommended will depend on a number of factors, including  size of the invasive tumor  (IDC) ,and number and location of the area(s) of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) and, in many cases, patient preference.

Radiation and chemo will depend on a number of factors, including tumor size, grade of the cancer (rating of aggressiveness), detection of any local (axillary lymph node) or distant metastases, possibly an Oncotype test, and more.  Characteistics of the tumor (ER/PR/HER2 status ) with determine if other adjuvant therapy (such as hormone-suppressing medication) might be indicated.

As you can see, a lot more information, from the path report after surgery as well as other tests and scans, will have to be gathered before the best treatment plan for your specific case can be determined.

I will also be sending you a private message.

Best wishes...
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...