Breast Cancer Community
What does it mean if you have lumps near you nipple?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I'm in high school.I had it for a long time.Now  I hope its not cancer. I don't want cancer. I haven't told my mom yet but i dont know if this mean that I have cancer.
1 Comment
Hi there,
These little bumps are called Montgomery glands which appear on the areolas and have nothing to do with breast cancer.These glands are sebaceous glands which produce an oily fluid secreted in small amount to keep the nipples and areolas lubricated.The enlargement of Montgomery glands may be caused by hormonal changes,which can play a big role during puberty.
Please do not make the mistake thinking that these bumps are pustules or pimples and attempt to squeeze them,because it could lead to infection.
The best thing to do,first of all, is to talk to your mom,so she can make an appointment to see your family doctor or a dermatologist for treatment that would help prevent dead skin cells from accumulating, as well as special preparations to remove oil build up.
Take care...