Breast Cancer Community
What does "stromal hyalinization" mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

What does "stromal hyalinization" mean?

I got my pathology report back today and says I have "stromal hyalinization with stromal calcification." I know that stroma is supportative tissue in the breast, and I know that calcification is a hardening of tissue due to calcium deposits, but the rest is clear as mud. I've tried searching on-line but come up blank. Except for articles that are written WAY above my scientific understanding. I need something in English.

I was also given a BI-RADS category of 3 - "probably benign."  I must admit, I'm not too comfortable with the whole "probably" thing. They recommend a follow-up mammogram in 6 months, but it is going to KILL me to wait that long. What can I do in the mean time? (Other than self exam.)

Speaking of which, my breast is really lumpy where they did the biopsy. Will is always be that way? I guess I assumed that it was just the body's way of dealing with the biopsy. Considering the whole cancer possibility I'm feeling like I shouldn't assume anything right now. Should I be alarmed at the lumpiness?

Anything anyone has to share with me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Hi. Stromal hyalinization indicates scarring, usually due to a benign tumor called a fibroadenoma.
There is no  diagnostic test that is 100% fool-proof, but the good thing about mammograms is that they are known to have improved outcomes since 1990             , so we'll have to work within its limitations. A BI RADS 3 indicates that the odds of finding a malignancy is less than 2%. Recommending the follow-up is based on actual cases, including the follow-up periods. A lot of  women receive these reports, if you follow the recommended  annual mammography, there is a 50-50  chance that you'll  get an abnormal mammogram and be asked for a repeat at a shorter time period. More than 90% of the time , these same women are asked to resume the  previous schedule of annually. Aside from self-examination, you may also ask a doctor to examine you during the interim.
The lumpiness is pretty vague,  perhaps its best you have this examined  more so, if you feel a new lump.
Thanks for the information.