Breast Cancer Community
What is BC Death Like?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

What is BC Death Like?

What happens when someone dies from Breast Cancer from it's original site (in the breast)? Is it painful? What does it look like? Any information appreciated... Thanks   Jackie
This is a tough one !!  The subject of pain at the end of one's life due to breast cancer is relative .... sometimes it is and sometimes not. With current care death from any type of cancer is rarely painful .... Hospice services are a wonderful thing and these specialists do everything possible to make one's passing a gentle experience. I can't say that "it" looks like anything in particular ...there need not be any type of obvious lesion in most cases as recurrance happens within other organs. I would venture to say that death would only occur when the cancer has metastisized to other vital organs such as the brain, lungs, etc. You might contact a Hospice Facility in your area for additional information as the staff would be those who have taken care of the dying patient on a daily basis.   Regards .....
You mean, if it's painful, and what it looks like after they die, or before?

I have been told that it depends a lot on the person's attitude. But now that you mention it, nobody has really directly shared with me what it's like, either.

I would like to know as well, but even oncologists and their nurses seem hesitant to tell you, and even when you ask them directly? Maybe they think it's too complicated for lay people, (like those who are not professionals like us) to understand.

KAT