Breast Cancer Community
What is anesthesia pre-operative assessment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

This question is prompted by a comment that Joneal made in another thread. I don't want to highjack that thread so starting a new post ...

What is "anesthesia pre-operative assessment"? I will be undergoing breast surgery in a few weeks. This will be my first experience of surgery or general anesthesia. Is this anesthesia assessment routinely done before surgery or do you have to request it? Are you given a mini dose of the anesthetic to see how you will react or what?
I had that assessment when I underwent a surgical biopsy of my right breast. Basically,
it is a pre-operative process, in the form of a questionaire, that helps to establish whether or not the patient has a history of adverse reactions to anesthetics, antibiotics and other medications.
Ordinarily, the doctor who will perform the sedation will make contact with the patient prior to the surgical procedure and cross-check the information provided by this assessment.
It's my understanding that this is routinely done. But, I don't think that mini doses are given... However, your vital signs and reaction to the anesthesia is closely monitored as it is being administered.
This is joneal.  I made that comment because I went in for BC surgery and ended up with a trach and delayed BC surgery.  I was at a major teaching university hospital.  Although I had been intubated several times in my life for previous surgeries something happened this time and once I had been given paralyzing drugs the then realized - and this is the explanation that I have been given - that due to swollen tissue I could not be intubated.  therefore the emergency trach.  I have read and reseached and had a pre-op assesment been done prior to te drugs they would have seen the swollen throat tissue and not proceeded with the anesthesia at that time.   Having never had issues in the past I did not know to insist upon the anesthesia pre-op.  This is in addition to the pre-op usually done a few days or 1 day prior to a surgery and is done by the anesthesiologist.  Check out anesthesia pre-op on the Internet.
Thanks for your replies. I don't think a questionnaire would help in my case as I've never had surgery or anesthesia before and only had antibiotics once in my life.

The only major medical incident in my life involved paralysis but the cause was never identified. This is why I'm a bit scared that the anesthesia might cause a recurrence or might trigger a recurrence of symptoms.