Breast Cancer Expert Forum
What to expect after mastectomy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

What to expect after mastectomy

Am 74, have mastectomy Aug.l.  Have had broken vertebrae in back,
after rehab/exercises, can walk, cook, am in good shape. Mainly,
I am concerned about:  immediately upon arriving home, will I be able to walk around apartment?  go to bathroom, etc.  Have great
lady who does cleaning, shopping, laundry, etc, but she is not
here all the time (I live alone) and want to know if I can do
the above for myself?  Mainly just want to know if I can move
around, use phone, etc.?
Dear SCYLLA:  A mastectomy may limit your motion a bit in your affected arm - short term.  However, once you have recovered from surgery, you should be able to get around much as you did prior to surgery.  You might consider having a friend or family member stay with you for a day or two until you are comfortable on your feet.  Also, your surgeon will likely provide rehab instructions after surgery that will help you plan your recovery.
for most women, mastectomy leads to little or no limitations on anything they choose to do. It's possible there might be a drainage tube for awhile that needs a bit of atttention. But the odds are that you'll be up and around and doing anything you feel like doing; for most, the restrictions on arm movement and use have to do with discomfort; and for most women, the discomfort is very little.
Thanks so much! You have really made my day (week, month). So
grateful to have found this website!  

Scylla
Hi ..... I was just about your age when I had my mastectomy ..... In the hosp. overnight (required by Medicare) came home feeling fine ...... in my case, no dressing except for a small one where the drainage tubes were. I had no problem doing whatever I wished to do. I hope that your surgery will go as well as mine and that your recovery will be as uneventful ..... Best of Luck ... If you wish you may contact me via e-mail @ ***@****
Thanks--very reassuring.  I've sent you an e-mail.  Would be happy
to hear from anyone else on forum.
Hello.  I am 33 and have just had a mastectomy a week ago.  i will see my Dr. tomorrow and I was wondering if this is when my drain will come out.  I have been experiencing pain along the the drain.  It is as if it is on a nerve and maybe pinching my skin.  Any one else?