Breast Cancer Expert Forum
What to look for during a monthly self breast exam...

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I was just wondering if someone could specifically tell me what to look out for when I am doing self breast exams every month. I am overly concerned about breast cancer, and want to be sure to know what to be on the lookout for.  I have cysts in both of my breast, but how do I tell the difference between a cyst and any other lump that may be of concern?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks so much
Dear Mandible, When doing a breast self-exam (BSE) what you are looking for is a lump that stands out as different from the rest of your breast tissue.  Becoming more familiar with your breasts by doing BSE each month will help you tell the difference between your normal
I found a mass in my breast and it was very easy to tell that it felt different than any other area. I had always wondered if I woould be able to tell but when something was there, it was very easy to feel. I hope this helps
The simple answer is that you can't tell the difference between a cyst and a malignant tumour. Only a pathologist can differentiate. A cyst can be aspirated by a nurse/technician or doctor, but a biopsy is the only way to tell if a mass or lump is malignant. Well, that's what my surgeon told me, for what it is worth.