Breast Cancer Expert Forum
What to look for during a monthly self breast exam...
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What to look for during a monthly self breast exam...

I was just wondering if someone could specifically tell me what to look out for when I am doing self breast exams every month. I am overly concerned about breast cancer, and want to be sure to know what to be on the lookout for.  I have cysts in both of my breast, but how do I tell the difference between a cyst and any other lump that may be of concern?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks so much
Related Discussions
Dear Mandible, When doing a breast self-exam (BSE) what you are looking for is a lump that stands out as different from the rest of your breast tissue.  Becoming more familiar with your breasts by doing BSE each month will help you tell the difference between your normal
3 Comments
Blank
I found a mass in my breast and it was very easy to tell that it felt different than any other area. I had always wondered if I woould be able to tell but when something was there, it was very easy to feel. I hope this helps
Blank
The simple answer is that you can't tell the difference between a cyst and a malignant tumour. Only a pathologist can differentiate. A cyst can be aspirated by a nurse/technician or doctor, but a biopsy is the only way to tell if a mass or lump is malignant. Well, that's what my surgeon told me, for what it is worth.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank