Breast Cancer Community
White Stuff coming from nipples

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

White Stuff coming from nipples

I am 40 years old, and only go to the doctor when I am in pain, but wanted to run this by the group for some input. I have noticed for quite sometime that I have a white substance coming from both nipples. It started sometime after the birth of my daughter (19 yrs ago). When doing a self exam, it looks like dry skin around that area, but when I squeeze that area I get some white stuff coming out. Please keep in mind it doesn't ooze out, just reminds me of like when you pop a zit. Can anybody tell me if they've had anything similiar? And is it worth wasting a day of work to have it checked?? Our family medical history has lung cancer, hep C, heart disease.

Looking forward to an answer if there is one.
1 Comment
Hi there.

The mechanism behind this phenomenon may be the same as those of white heads, or pores plugged with comedones as what you see in the facial area.  The nipples are not exempted from this mechanism as the nipples contains glands and similar structures which can also get clogged and therefore develop this whitish discharge.

I believe this is not anything serious but this has a tendency to get infected, much like the comedones or white heads in the face.  When infected, this can present with swelling, warmth and pain, and this would have to be treated with a course of antibiotics.

Manipulation of the area is best avoided to prevent development of infections.

Regards.