Breast Cancer Expert Forum
White spots on nipple and areola + Hypoechoic lesions

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

About 2 months ago I had an ultrasound to my right breast and they found a hypoechoic lesion that they will follow up on in a month from now, and maybe they will do a biopsy and hopefully will come back negative...
Now a few weeks ago I noticed white spots on my nipple on my left breast that is on the side of my nipple and goes down to the areola area. They are a little larger then a needle head in size. I did not sqeeze them to see if anything comes out... I have about 11 of them. They are just under the skin, and they are not bumby, but they look like there is some kind of stuff in them... Should I be concerned? I am thinking about calling my OB/GYN so she can take a look at it, I never seen anything like this before...
Thanks for your help!
Dear izehoze:  Skin on the breast, nipple and areola is like skin anywhere on the body and is subject to a variety of abnormalities.  Further, the are small glands, called montgomery’s glands that are normally present on the areola and would secrete a whitish oily substance.  Without evaluation it is impossible for us to speculate on what this might be.  If you are concerned, you should bring this to the attention of your doctor.