Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Why Surgery if cancer is gone.......
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Why Surgery if cancer is gone.......

After talking with my surgeon, She told me that after going through chemo there are times where she has seen that the tumor has not only shrunk but it has disappeared in some cases and that even after a pet scan it shows no cancer......But she also told me that surgery would still need to be done.  My question would be....WHY??????  Why would you need to have surgery if you no longer have cancer.....Is it so the cancer wont come back???/  But then WHY....do they give you a preventive drug that prevents breast cancer from coming back but the side affect of that drug is ovarian and uterus cancer........All of this just baffles me.......
Yes I am battling breast cancer and I have had two chemo treatments and I have seen such a huge change in the size of my tumor...I am scheduled to have another four months of chemo.  I have been in little to no pain in my breast.... However I have had just about every other side effect that a person can get from the chemo treatments.
So I sit here thinking......If I am clear from all cancer.....Do I take a chance on no surgery or do a take a chance and have surgery then be put on this drug that can cause cancer....MMMMM