Breast Cancer Community
Why do I STILL have a breast lump after a biopsy? :-(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I'm 19 years old and had a breast biopsy about a month ago, the results were a fiberdenoma (benign tumor). I wasn't able to touch that area of my breast because of the pain from surgery (no pain prior) but when I did later, I felt a lump. Exactly the same spot, possibly bigger. When I went for a follow up appt. the nurse told me it was nothing and showed me a paper that said that the 1 cm lump was fully taken out. Well, the lump they were suppose to remove was 2 cm. Give me SOME idea of what it is! The on-campus nurse and the other nurse said it can't be scar tissue. So What is it? This is so frustrating because I just got through with this whole ordeal that took 3 months! I thought once the surgery (biopsy) was preformed I'd be done with it all. Can anyone help?
A biopsy is a sampling of the area or lump in question. It does not mean that the entire area/lump would be removed. Your diagnosis was Fibroadenoma which is a benign breast tumor and these do not need to be removed. Even if they are completely removed others may develop. If the entire lump were removed you would have had a "lumpectomy" done under general anesthesia
which is quite a different procedure than any type of biopsy. If you have fibrocystic breast condition you may never be free from the occurance of either these tumors or cysts and as a rule when anything new is discovered it needs to be investigated to determine the exact cause.  Regards ....
They did preform a lumpectomy under general anesthesia. They told me it was fully taken out, which is why I'm questioning why it's still there.
It could be some scar tissue or just some swelling due to the surgery. I apologize for misunderstanding but you did say biopsy in your previous post. The nature of this lump you feel now could be determined by an Ultrasound as it could be any number of things .... hematoma, scar tissue, another fibroadenoma, a cyst or a seroma. If you are terribly concerned I would contact your Surgeon and request some further investigation. A couple of the things I mentioned may take a considerable amount of time to resolve themselves.  Take care ....