Breast Cancer Community
Why remove a benign papilloma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Why remove a benign papilloma?

I just had a needle biopsy done and recieved a call today letting me know my one breast lump (1 cm) is a benign papilloma.  They said it is in my milk duct and could keep growing and cause problems such as nipple discharge.
But they also said they want to remove it and do a tissue sample.  
Are they doing this to rule out DCIS even though the cell sample came out benign?
I'm 43 years old if that helps any.  Please let me know your thoughts!  I'm seeing a surgeon this Friday.  Is it just protocol to remove it and are they going to take the effected milk duct as well?
Thankyou for your response, and as a matter of fact, I am scheduled to see a general surgeon tomorrow, and I think I will call the breast center and see who does breasts only.  That's great advice, thank you!  - Rose
I'm having a ductogram done on June 1st. Is that the same as a biopsy...kind of? The Doc says I have a papilloma. I had a good mam in Feb 09 and just had another one and an ultra sound about a week ago. How can he know this already? He said it's not cancer.
Hi Deniselazor65,
I never had a ductogram.  I am 42 and actually just did my very first self breast exam when I discovered this lump.  I went to the doc, she sent me to get a mam and an ultrasound.  They thought it was a just a benign fibrodenoma at first, and scheduled me to come back for a biopsy just in case.  The next day, the breast center called me back and said I have a papilloma and it is benign.  They said it could grow and that since its in one of my milk ducts, cause nipple leakage.  They said it should be removed.  I am scheduled to have it removed this Friday. Since you are having a ductogram, I'm assumming your papilloma is in your duct and that maybe some doctors just go about looking and testing a couple of  different ways?  My doc just said to remove it, and biopsy it along with tissue surrounding it including a small part of my duct-which will close back up.  Because they already did a needle biopsy, the chances of it being cancerous are fairly slim.
Hope this helps, please let me know how its going.   -  Rose
Hi. I had the ductogram on Monday June 1st and they could not get in the nipple to inject any dye.. So, it did not work.They think it's a papilloma. He said by my mamo and ultra sound....there is nothing that would be cancer. Since I don't have insurance and the health dept is paying for this...which I have not heard back from the health dept yet.He said I could get an appt with a surgeon....other wise I'm to have another mamo in 6 months.I only have this nipple discharge when expressed. It just changed in April of this year to a small amount of blood in the left breast when expressed. So, they are thinking papilloma.......but what.....I guess they are not sure. Should I worry?????? Please answer. Thanks