Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Why 'x' numbers of radiation treatments?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Just curious.  I recently completed 33 radiation treatments, 7 of which were "boosts."  My question:  What factors determine how many radiation treatments and "boosts" one will receive? The reason I ask is because a woman in my support group and I have almost identical pathology reports (tumor size, characteristics, etc).  We are also the same age.  She also has 33 radiation treatments, but only 4 are "boosts."  Also, are the amount of "boost" treatments determined at all by the size of the margins after lumpectomy, which we both had?

Thank you.
Dear Elle53:  The dose of radiation therapy is not really the number of treatments but rather the dose.  Ideally, the area of concern is prescribed a "total" dose of radation (usually close to the lifetime maximum that that area of the body can tolerate).  Because radiation would be toxic if given in one big dose, it is divided (called fractionated) into smaller, better tolerated doses.  Based on the anatomy and area to be radiated, some smaller targeted boosts may be added to maximize the dose the the direct area.  The number of boosts has to do with the dose per boost, the anatomy of the person, and the area being targeted.
have you heard the term if you don't have anything nice to say....Don't Say Anything At ALL!
You must be going through a very tough time to be so bitter. Perhaps instead of being hateful on this board you could post what your going through and maybe someone here can relate. It may make you feel better. I know this board has sure helped me and many others.