Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Wire localization was PAINFUL

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Wire localization was PAINFUL

Anyone else out there have a extremely painful wire localization?  My recommendation to anyone facing this procedure is to a.  get lots of sedatives before and, b.  tell them it takes more than the usual to numb you just to make sure it does not hurt like it hurt me!!!!!
Dear ktww:  Wire localization is by no means painless but your experience sounds worse than usual.  
I had this almost a year ago.  I had a core biopsy, then a wire loc, followed immediately by a lumpectomy.  It all turned out to be benign, thank God.  What I found to be extremely painful was the core biopsy, but, looking back, I know my fears really took over and I became very emotional during it, and now I'm deeply embarrassed.  

It hurt so bad, that they numbed me up extremely well for the wire loc., and it was completely fine!  I was also so scared from the first procedure, that I elected to have general anesthesia for the lumpectomy.  I have absolutely no regrets on that!!

I just want to say, I've been there too, and I tell every woman I know to make sure they are really really numb for these types of procedures!

I hope everything turned out ok.
A related discussion, Help for painful wire localization was started.