Worried about breast pain
I'm scheduled for a mammogram in 2 weeks with a request for ultrasound depending on results of mammo.  I've had for a few weeks now pain in my left breast, more upper near the armpit.  A few months ago they did an ultrasound on a bullet type lump in that same breast but more in the centre of it & it showed it was just tissue & nothing to be concerned about.  I have noticed especially in last 2 weeks a thickening in the painful part of the side/armpit/upper left breast.  The Dr confirmed the thickening was felt yesterday so ordered the mammo/ultrasound.  I'm really scared it could be breast cancer as I've heard ultrasounds don't pick up breast cancer so the scan a few months ago may not have found anything.  I'm 39 years old.  Appreciate any input.
Hi.

Breast lumps and thickenings may indeed be cancer, but there are entities such as fibrocystic breast changes that are more common than cancer.  Firbocystic breast changes represent an unusual but benign response of the breast tissues to your body's hormone levels which coincide with your menstrual cycle.  These are also associated with pain.

I believe that the mammogram and ultrasound will give us the answers.  If not, then further evaluation through biopsy may be necessary.

Regards.