Breast Cancer Community
Worried about density in second mamogram(mammogram)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I had my first mamogram (mammogram), 4 years ago, at the age of 50.  Due to "no insurance" I just recently had my second mamogram (mammogram) at the age of 54.  I've been called back for another mamogram (mammogram), due to density in my right breast.  I do not have any implants, and have large breasts, and wear 38D bra.  The right breast has always seemed larger than the left.  I've not had any symptoms that would alarm me, making me think that there could be something wrong.  Am I over reacting to my having the second mamogram (mammogram)?  My nurse said it was based on the study from the first mamogram (mammogram) 4 yrs. ago.  I hope this is routine, and not cancerous, but I've been worried sick.

Sincerely,

Shelia5455

This discussion is related to density.
Hi, Shelia,
Zouzi is 100% correct---I've been called back several times for spot compression mammos because I have dense breasts, too. It's really quiite common and I'm glad it's done to be absolutely sure of the final results in the report. My left breast is bigger than the right and has been since I was in my early 20's---not uncommon at all. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, but you definitely need to make sure you take care of yourself and get regular exams. I read your profile and it sounds like you are very busy helping your parents, which is really great. It's just that caregivers need "care", too, and you won't be any help to your parents if you're not well enough to be there for them. So please follow up with the recommended testing and take good care of yourself!
Hugs,
nc
A spot compression mammogram is a type of mammogram in which only a small area of the breast is compressed.  
The purpose of a spot compression mammogram is to achieve better imaging of a particular region of the breast,especially because dense breast can make Mammographic interpretation more difficult.The fact that you are being called back, is very common. Sometimes is just the skin that has folded over on itself and looks like a shadow.A spot compression can focus in on the area and help to clarify.
Also having one breast larger than the other is very common.
I hope that all will be just fine with your second mammogram.
Best wishes...
Hi, Shelia,
Hugs,
nc
Hi nc,
Thank you so much for your response.  You have such a positive attitude, and having read from you, I feel so much better.  To have someone actually relate to my being worried about my second mamogram (mammogram), and my elderly parents, I feel so touched by your concern.  You're truly wonderful to take time to respond and I thank you so so much.
I will keep in touch and let you know the results, whether good or bad.  
With support from persons such as yourself, I don't feel alone bearing the burden, I feel very blessed!

Shelia
hi zouzi,
Thank you for such a prompt response concering my second mammogram.  Your information was very informative, and thank you for taking time to post your comment to me.  Awaiting results from mammogram, and will let you know.  

Have a blessed day

Shelia
You welcome Shelia and thank you for letting us know how you feel.
I sincerely hope that the spot compression Mammogram will give good results.
I am glad that nc and I have helped you a little during this stressful time.
Wishing you all the best....and good LUCK! :)
Hi, Shelia,
Zouzi and I are so glad that we were able to help. That's why we're here and it's so nice to be appreciated!
Good luck with your follow up results and we also appreciate hearing how you're doing.
Hoping all turns out well!
Hugs,
nc