Breast Cancer Community
Yeast infection on the breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Yeast infection on the breast

Ok - my doctor has me paranoid, what I thought was dry skin has turned out to be not dry skin.  after realilzing it, I made an appointment and I was given a cream to treat the possibility of a yeast infection on my breast.  I was also sent immediately for a mammogram(i am only 34) and am seeing a breast surgeon next week.  the mammogram was clear and the cream has helped some however in my research I cannot find anything about yeast infections without breastfeeding.  Is it possible to have a yeast infection on the breast without being pregnant or having a baby?
Hi there.

There is a test to confirm if the skin of your breast has fungal infection or not.  This is called the KOH smear (Potassium hydroxide).  This would entail scraping the affected area and looking at it underneath the microscope to see if there are fungal elements.  Fungal infections on the breast can happen to any one regardless of breastfeeding status, but you are correct that this more commonly happens with breastfeeding women.  With the application of antifungal cream, it maybe too late to have a smear done but most doctors are confident to diagnose fungal infection without the smear anyway (just based on the symptoms and skin appearance).  I suggest you continue with your treatment but inform your doctor of any changes or persistence.  Regards.
Ok - I am still paranoid.  It appeared as if my rash was going away - most of the flakiness went away however it still itches.  I went to see the Breast surgeon who said everything appeared to be fine and continue with the cream.  He stated that the biopsy may cause more problems than absolutely necessary such as infection, the biopsy actuallly takes breast tissue causing my nipple to appear different.  He said to follow up in June with him.  I actually thought it was going away and it obviously is not.  what other kinds of tests are there to determine exactly what is wrong with my breast.  My nipple continues to be red and inflamed however it is very small.  I just read something on Mayo clinic's website that stated that the symptoms of Paget's can appear to go away and return.  Is this information true? I am really starting to worry now.  THere is definitely something wrong and not just dry skin.  My husband has even informed me that he is going to my follow up apt this week.  He sees the change in my nipple although it is small.  Anyone have Paget's Disease, did your symptoms come and go at all???