Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Yellow fluid from left nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Yellow fluid from left nipple

I am a 24 year old female and for the past month I have had a discharge from my left nipple.  My breasts have also been unbearably sensitive and seem to ache almost as if I were having muscle spasms.  I do not have any children and I have taken multiple pregnancy tests to find that I am not pregnant.  I went to the OB/GYN, he checked my prolactin levels(which were normal), and said that it will go away and said it's probably galactorrhea.  The discharge is yellow and when wiped on tissue seems to be oily and looks like cooking oil.  My main question is if  this is something that WILL go away or is this something to be concerned about??
Duplicate question and answer
Dear concerned24:  Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple. The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white. Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers. These medications increase prolactin levels in the body. There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between. The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it