Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Zometa Infusions

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Zometa Infusions

In 2009 at the age of 40 I was diagnosed with IDC, ER positive breast cancer; 0.7cm, grade 3 with negative sentinel nodes. I underwent a lumpectomy, chemotherapy and radiation and I am currently taking Tamoxifen. My oncologist is encouraging me to have Zometa infusions (once every 6 months for 3 years) based on the research from the 2008 trials that suggest that Zometa will reduce the recurrence of cancer and help with preventing bone loss in premenopausal women (study followed women who did not have chemotherapy). Are there any more studies that have confirmed the benefits of Zometa? Are the risks of side-effects from the Zometa worth the benefit of decreasing my risk by a few percentage points? I am also in need of a hip replacement so I am concerned how Zometa may affect my bones and the potential risks it may cause. Thank you for assisting in answering these questions.
Dear kan28:  The data regarding the benefits of Zometa continue to be encouraging but final results are still pending.  In our practice recommendations for Zometa or drugs in this class has to do with risk or or known osteopenia or osteonecrosis with the POSSIBLE added benefit of reducing risk of recurrence.  These drugs are indicated to strengthen bones and any other benefit may be a bonus.  You should have a discussion with your doctor about your own risks versus benefits.
Hello kan28:

The doctor already gave you the medical answer, if you don't mind allow me to answer as a breast cancer patient.
Never take anything you have not researched, not because you will try to teach your doctor but because you will have further knowledge on what it is you are going to take, how it will affect you and the general information on the drug.
Google like this "Zometa side effects", when you get the site read well all it says about this drug. With that information you can ask your doctor many questions you now can not even dream about.
As a general issue I always tell others "never put anything into your body unless you have researched". I know why I am saying this and it is a matter of safety.

Regards

Marylou_II