Breast Cancer Community
abnormal cells in breast mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

abnormal cells in breast mass

quick question.  had a breast biopsy and it came back with abnormal cells.  i think she said A cells.  she was limited on details almost forgot to tell me.  She said that when i had my next surgery than she was going to take mass out of breast cause it could lead to cancer.  I am confused.  Will other lumps come up or is this a one time thing.  and how does benign mass turn malignant if left in
Hi!
I'm a little confused regarding your situation.  You had a breast biopsy done which showed abnormal cells (A cells?  possibly atypical cells?)
Why did your doctor suggest doing nothing until your next surgery?  And what kind of surgery is being planned?
A finding of atypical cells does not give sufficient information.  And why wait until your next surgery to remove the existing area?
Atypical hyperplasia is a situation when the cells are growing abnormally, but does not indicate anything more than this.  Do you have a copy of your biopsy report?
Perhaps if you posted more detail regarding what the report stated we might be able to provide additional information.
Benign masses may turn malignant because of the abnormal growth of the cells (hyperplasia), but this does not necessarily mean a malignancy will always be the result.
Removal of such areas is indicated as a preventive measure even if the risk is relatively small.
Get back to us with more information regarding your biopsy and I am sure someone will be able to assist you more completely.
Best wishes ---
As sad as it is that is all the info she gave.  It was an after thought in appt.  And we know all how surgeons are.  I have to have a another surg in nov.  to reverse an ostomy procedure.  I had a laproscopic procedure in july and they perferated the bowel .  After eight days they had to do an emeregancy laporotomy surgery.  So for a bit now they cut a hole on my left side and cut open my colon and created a stoma.  Which means know i have a hole in my side and i actually go number 2 in the bag. So they will reverse it and take out the mass in my breast.  She is not very nice and treats you like she has better things to do.
WOW!  You certainly have had a lot to deal with these past few months ---
Surgeons may not always be well known for their bedside manner (Hey, most of the time the patient is unconscious!), but a little empathy would go a long way in this situation.
Any chance of changing docs?  If not, just remember we on this forum are ready and willing to provide any support you need.
Be sure and let us know how things go ---
Well I don't agree with what you said "we know how all surgeons are" ... this is not good medical practice on his/her part. You have every right to either call or make an appnt. to speak in person and get a detailed explanation of the Pathology report on your biopsy. Don't accept this "brush-off" type of explanation ... it should not be tolerated. You are also entitled to a copy of your medical records .. you might get the Path report and if the Surgeon won't co-operate, take it to your Primary Care Physician for an in depth explanation. Kindest regards .....
If it were me, I would change doctors. That behavior is unacceptable.
the only problem is they are the only people who will help me out because I have no health ins.  Which is very annoying.  So thats why I came to you guys.
And the stoma was not the half of it.  I ended up becoming septic and developing pneumonia.  I was in the hospital for three weeks and for a week they gave my husband and mom the news that I only had a thirty percent chance to live.  I just want to now if i should freak out about this too.  But if she is waiting to do the surgery maybe there is a chance it is normal atypical cells?