Breast Cancer Community
aluminum in deodorant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

aluminum in deodorant

Is it true that aluminum in deodorants can contribute to certain cancers? if so do you know any stronger safer deodorants that I can purchase? Please help
I've also heard that there is cause for concern about the aluminum chloride contained in many deodorants. But, I'm sure if the concern is because of a known Cancer connection. And, I've also read that the aerosol deodorants, which can be inadvertently inhaled, aren't particularly safe. Anyway, there are safe deodorants on the market. I use a body roll-on called, Crystal. It's hypoallergenic, fragrance and Paraben free... and contains no aluminum chloride.
The American Cancer Society Web site has a lengthy discussion of all sorts of things proven and rumored to be risk factors for BC.

They mentioned a frequent e-mail rumor  regarding the chemicals in antiprespirants being absorbed through the skin and eventually causing BC, but stated that there is very little laboratory or population-based evidence to support this rumor.They mentioned that a large study of breast cancer causes found no increase in women who used underarm deodorants, or shaved their underarms.

As a side note, they also addressed the rumor that goes around every so often claiming that bras cause cancer by obstucting lumph flow. They stated that there is no good scientific or clinical basis for this claim either.

Best wishes...

The deodorant isn't what you have to worry about, it's antiperspirants. Aluminum has long been linked to everything from Alzheimers to Breast Cancer. I don't know what to believe but two things I know for sure: chemicals like aluminum chloride aren't good for you and without it I'd be soaking wet in Florida.

Best wishes.
My error--I was typing from a hard copy, instead of copying and pasting.

It actually said: "a large study of breast cancer causes  found no increase in breast cancer in women who used underarm ANTIPERSPIRANTS or shaved their underarms."
You said it right the first time :)

I just wanted tea_berries to understand there is a difference in the two products. Deodorant stops odor and antiperspirant stops sweat... too bad it's suspicious... I'd put it all over my body during hot flashes LOL