Breast Cancer Community
anesthetic use for biopsy tracer injection
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

anesthetic use for biopsy tracer injection

I was feeling good about things until I read this article , "Relieving the Pain of Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy Tracer Injection", Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, Aug. 2008, Vol. 12, Number 4.  This article talks about the use of eutectic mixture of local anesthetics (EMLA) cream.  In the "At a Glance" section, it says that intradermal injections of radioisotopes are extremely painful; the EMLA is effective and reducing injection pain prior to sentinel node biopsy; and that nurses should advocate for intervention that minimize discomfort during diagnostic procedures.  

I sure hope these nurses have been heard LOUD and CLEAR!  Please tell me they don't just inject this without lidocaine or something to take the edge off the pain.

I'd been looking for articles using the EBSCO host access through the State of Iowa library system.  I want to be an educated health care consumer but now an almost afraid that my natural investigative tendency has brought me more information than I want a week before surgery. - Kay