Breast Cancer Community
architectural distortion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

architectural distortion

I just had the nurse call about my mammogram they found cluster calcifications in left breast no architectural distortion or nipple retraction. about 4cm need more additional evaluation the nurse said it is the start of cancer.just when I asked question she said just go get the mammogram.
Need help to understand and has any one else had this?
thanks worry
Calcifications when observed in groups or clustered are an indication of some abnormality within the breast tissue. This is NOT necessarily due to cancer ... many biopsies are found to be benign. From what you say you are only being called back for additional views of this suspicious area in the breast. I haven't a clue as to why the Nurse would say what she said but it was not correct. Only a biopsy can determine the cause of these calcifications. Have your recommended additional views and then whatever is advised following those.   Regards ....
Hi... I just responded to your other post in relation to this; but, I don't mind elaborating.
Like you, I also have Firocystic Disease of the breasts. According to my family physician, this condition (a lumpy, fibrous density of breast tissue) is not uncommon. He said, about 30% of the female population has some form of this; and it's cause is probably hereditary.
And, yes... regarding the appearance of microcalcifications... the same thing happened to me; but, in the same (right) breast.
In 2005, my mammogram showed that there was the presence of microcalcifications. The second time, in 2007, more calcifications appeared in my mammogram, and in almost the exact same location as the first. In both cases, they were found to be of a benign (non-cancerous) origin.
According to the surgeon who performed the first (surgical) biopsy, these calcifications in themselves, are rarely, if ever cancerous. But, they are an abnormality. And, what is of primary concern is the surrounding breast tissue where they appear and the manner in which they appear (clustering). Their appear would suggest that something is amiss within the breast tissue and thereby triggering their growth. So, if and whenever they appear... you'll always want to have them checked out.
Also, I know the disappointment, despair and depressed feeling in learning that after you've already dealt with this once; you're faced with it again, years later.
Again, good luck with the evaluations; and, try to maintain positive thoughts.
What does architectural distortion and nipple retraction mean? I'm just worry it happen in the left breast not the right.And in the right they said cluster microcalcifications they wanted to wait 6 month but I said no I wanted a biopsy done. I worry every time I have a mammogram so it's like living 2001 again. 2001 look like they sprinkle salt all over my right breast when I saw the mammogram. It's hard not to worry and my husband is not understanding it's like I'm alone the  family nurse that called told me not to worry till I have additional view done. Thanks for your help
The nurse told me there was no arthitectural distortion or nipple retraction and that was good. I was told by surgeon that it could take up to 5 years before you would feel it. Last year mammogram was fine and always been fine in the left breast the right is the one that has cluster calcifications. The nurse said 4cm is very small and try not to worry till I get the additional views.  I have appointment with a surgeon on June 4 that did the biopsy she wanted me to wait in 2001 6 months then come back but I didn't want to wait.I'm trying not to worry but all I do is cry  that's for the information