Breast Cancer Expert Forum
areola rash on both

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

areola rash on both

For about 4 weeks I have had dry, itching skin on both areolas and skin around them will turn red, no discharge.  I started swimming regularly and thought it could be a result of that.  I have used lotions and antibiotic cream but that hasn't helped.  I'm scheduled for a regular, yearly mamogram (mammogram) soon.  Since it's both breasts should I be concerned about Paget's and also should I see my doctor?  It's hard to get in to him though.  Thank you
Dear kthill:  Skin on the breast and areola is like skin anywhere else on the body and is subject to many common abnormalities.  If this itching is bilateral, it is more likely related to the drying effects of chlorine, new clothes detergent, or even heat related.  Pagets is usually accompanied by a scaling of the skin and is usually only on one side.  It is also quite uncommon.  Since it is no better with the lotions and creams you have been using, you could have your doctor take a look at this - and then make a recommendation as to the best "next step."
1 Comment
A related discussion, breast rash was started.