Breast Cancer Community
arimedex side effects & possible replacement drug

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hello.
     I am 53 years old and had a mastectomy in March 2007 with chemotherapy (adriamycin and taxotere) and 7 weeks of radiation treatment completed by December 2007. I was diagnosed with incarcinoma in situ (invasive and her2 positive)
     I was informed on January 21, 2008 that I must take arimedex to prevent the cancer from returning. I have not yet done so in that I am now suffering from severe joint pain and stiffness, enough that I am awakened throughout the night.(even if I have taken the prescribed sleeping and pain medication). I am on an anti-inflammatory diet.
    My doctor insists in that I am now post menopausal and he does not feel that tamoxifen would be a good replacement. He is aware of my chronic joint pain.  I would like to know if there is another drug that could replace the arimedex and be as effective as I have been told.

Firstly you need to get a bone scan done. Discuss the reports with your doctor and post them to us too.

What options has your doctor given you regarding the chemotherapy?

What was the hormone receptor status in your case?

Let us know how you are doing and keep us posted about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Thank you for your comments. I did have a bone scan and an xray of a speicified area in my lower back. I am waiting for the Rheumatologist to call me with the results. I also have the arimedex prescription in my hand, but am fearful of taking it. However, I am noticing that I am going through some hormonal mood swings in this past week and am concerned that I am waiting too long to take any hormaonal treatment therapy. I read the side effects of the arimedex and it is many. Any suggestions or do you agree that I should wait to see what my rheumatologist finds in the scan and xray before I start the hormonal treatment?
Peg
pegc.***@****
I am investigating the hormone receptor status other than I know I was estrogen positive.
I was receiving treatment in Ilinois and am now seeking an oncologist in the Annapolis, MD area.
PEg

I think you should wait for the reports to come in and see to what your rheumatologist has to say.

Discuss this in detail with your oncologist then, and then decide what is the best option in your specific case.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
Thank you!
Peg

Glad the posts were of some help.

We would look forward to regular updates from you.

Do post us on how you are doing and about any doubts that you have.

Regards.