Breast Cancer Expert Forum
arimidex

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

arimidex

Have been taking arimidex for 50 days.  Am beginning to get a lot of facial hair (hair all over face) long enough to hold between fingers.  Is the arimidex causing this?
Avatar n tn
Dear tibs1, The Arimidex does not directly cause increasing facial hair.  The fluctuations in hormones are a more likely cause.  Androgens are hormones such as testosterone and androsterone that produce or stimulate the development of male characteristics (such as increased facial hair).  In women, these hormones can be converted into estrogen.  As a treatment in breast cancer Arimidex works by interfering with the conversion of androgens to estrogen.  So in estrogen-receptor positive tumors the estrogen is not available to possibly stimulate breast cancer growth.
Avatar n tn
This is a common occurence for those of us on Arimidex. Ask your oncologist about Aldactone. It greatly slows the hair growth rate. I take 100 mg./day. It's a mild diuretic, so you cannot take another diurectic at the same time. If your oncologist isn't familiar with this use of Aldactone, ask him/her to speak to an endocrinologist, as they are quite familiar with it.
Avatar n tn

I had breast cancer in l995 and had chemo lost my hair but it did return.  In May I was treated for liver cancer and lost my hair and it has not returned, I am taking arimidex.  I have been told by my oncology doctor that I am his only patient that this has happened to.  I have also seen a dermatologist and she doesn't have an answer for me either.  I am very depressed over the hair lost  I am 49 years old.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, Breast Cancer Therapy was started.